Saturday 13 March 2010

Generation Kill

I picked up a copy of Generation Kill the other day for 20 bucks. Fairly stoked with that. I'd heard bits and pieces about it seeing as there's FUCK ALL on the box I figured I'd track it down.

GK is a series about a company of Marine Recon in the current war in Iraq. It's set with the initial invasion. More specifically the show focuses on a platoon made up of your cliched misfits. It's supposedly based on the writings of the embed reporter with the squad who's a fraction anxious about the whole experience.

My initial impression was that the show was more of a statement than for entertainment, but as it progresses they start to wear the roles more comfy. For sure, that statement vibe doesn't really ever go away but moments break it up that are FKN hilarious.

You can tell the dialogue was done by an author because it runs like a book, as you probably understand being FROM a book but it sometimes comes across with creative licence. It covers baby killing, civilian killing, and the general ineptitude of the war machine in general. There's no real heroics, just moments of heart failure for the characters. I've got one episode to go and I must say I've REALLY enjoyed it. The characters grow on you and probably part of it for me is that it's something out of Iraq which we're REAL light on in the entertainment industry.

If you're interested in that sort of thing, get it. It's only 20 bucks ... Au.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name/handle with your comment. It's important to stand next to our thoughts.